Fourth of July Safety
It’s almost that time of year when we are ready for picnics and fireworks. As Independence Day creeps closer the kiddos are ready to be outside playing, and most adults are looking forward to some fireworks fun.
As Americans, we enjoy fireworks. The average annual consumer fireworks revenue is $725,000,000 as reported on statisticbrain.com, and in the U.S. alone we buy 247,550,000 lbs of fireworks each year. With this amount of fireworks being distributed it is important to remember to be watchful over children as they are using fireworks, and to remember as an adult to not be careless. The average amount of injuries each year in the U.S. alone is around 9,300 people, and 45% of these injuries are specifically to children under the age of 14.
Typically most injuries are hand or eye related.
Ways to Make your Holiday safer
- having a fire extinguisher or hose near by is helpful to put out small fires.
- remember to follow packaging instructions
- keep fireworks away from small children
- educate older children who will be using fireworks, and supervise them closely
- aim your fireworks away from people, animals, homes, or anything flammable