The Duration It Takes for a Man to Refill Sperm
For many couples, trying to conceive means having sex on a regular basis. Doctors recommend this as an important way to increase the chances of getting pregnant. However, many women and men face the question of whether there is enough sperm production and regeneration to guarantee that having sex will increase the chances of conception.
The production of sperm occurs every day.
A full sperm regeneration cycle, also known as spermatogenesis, takes almost 64 days. During spermatogenesis, the sperms are produced and achieve maturation. The process constantly supplies the body with sperm that is able to travel through the vagina and fertilize an ovum.
Statistics From WebMD.com: For most couples trying to conceive, the odds that a woman will become pregnant are 15% to 25% in any particular month.
As mentioned, the testicles constantly produce new sperm during spermatogenesis but the full process takes 64 days. During the process, several million sperms per day are produced. Approximately, the testicles produce 1500 sperms per second. By the end of spermatogenesis, the testicles can produce up to 8 billion sperm.
It may look like too much but only 20 to 300 million sperm cells are found in a milliliter of semen. The surplus produced is to ensure that there are more chances of conception.
The Cycle Of Sperm Refilling & Regeneration
- The division of the diploid sperm cells where they divide into haploid spermatids. This than carry genetic data.
- The maturation of the sperm in the testicles. Maturation occurs in the seminiferous tubules. In order to mature, the spermatids are helped by hormones until they becomes spermatozoa. The sperms remain in the testicles until maturity. Maturity is achieved when the sperm head contains genetic material and a tail that enables it to travel through the female body for fertilization.
- Movement of the sperm into the epididymis. This is a tube that is connected to the testicles and which stores sperm. The sperms are preserved in the epididymis until ejaculation. In addition, it is also in the epididymis that the sperms gain motility which is their ability to move. Motility is what enables the sperms to travel when released in seminal fluid during ejaculation.
The consequence of this process is there is constant sperm regeneration which fills the epididymis with fresh sperm. As long as they build up for a longer period, there will be a higher sperm count during ejaculation.
For couples that are trying to conceive, waiting few days between ejaculations is the best shot at increasing chances of conception. Furthermore, abstaining from ejaculation the week before the woman ovulates maximizes the sperm count during the most fertile window hence further increasing the chances of conception. A period of more frequent ejaculations has the opposite effect as it lowers the sperm count in a single ejaculation and hinder conception.
While the male body refills sperm in a constant process, one can increase the chances of conception by:
- Having sex for two or three days weekly
- Waiting two to three days for a larger quantity of sperm in semen
- Using an ovulation predictor kit to determine the ovulation window
The male body refills sperm every day and the sperm supply gets replenished every 64 days. As a result, there is always a sufficient supply of sperm available at any time.
[title size=”2″]Whitefish Family Planning Clinic – Call Us[/title]
[imageframe lightbox=”no” style_type=”bottomshadow” bordercolor=”” bordersize=”5px” borderradius=”0″ stylecolor=”” align=”right” link=”” linktarget=”_self” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ class=”team-picture hover-effect” id=””][/imageframe]
We at Whitefish Family Doctor are a one stop solution in Whitefish for most all women’s health problems. We have a team of friendly professional staff members who help patients through proper pregnancy and family planning, decision making and helpful treatments.
To make an appointment at Whitefish Family Doctor, please call us at (406) 334-2204.